I cut out Vogue 8252 three years ago, intending to sew it up for Rae’s Spring Top Sewalong; it sat in my “to sew” pile until about 10 days ago when I decided that I would finish a top for spring this year. Overall I’m happy with the fit and results, although I have this nagging feeling that it might be somewhat clown-esque or I might have stolen Anne Shirley’s puffed sleeves.
I’m usually not a ruffle person, but they were what originally caught my eye when I bought this pattern. The fabric I’ll call a lawn—it’s from Sevenberry Fabrics of Japan, which is unbelievable because I bought it at the Fabric Depot outdoor sale a few years back for $3 or $4/yard. It was great fun to work with—just the right drape for the pattern, and making the ruffles was great fun. I used this top as a test for another one I want to make from a different, but similar fabric. I couldn’t quite bring myself to leave the edges of the ruffles unfinished as the pattern called for, so I had my mom serge a lovely rolled hem on them which worked perfectly. Maybe sometime I’ll be brave enough to leave them “raw”.
This pattern’s instructions were frustrating—I felt there could have been a lot more detail put into the directions for the ruffles and the buttons; the written directions did not match the accompanying illustrations or those on the pattern envelope. I do really love the clever detail of hiding the buttons under one of the ruffles, and overall I’m please with my new spring top!
Many thanks to my photographer!